Spoiler pictures

New features you would like to see in Geosphere

Spoiler pictures

Postby team longshadow » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:27 am

The program works great but it is missing the possibility to view spoiler pictures that in some cases are fundamental. Will there be the possibility to see an upgrade in such manner. thanks in advance.

team longshadow
Forum Novice
Forum Novice

Re: Spoiler pictures

Postby Team SLuG » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:45 am

Do you mean the images posted by other finders in their logs?

Unlike the images built into the description, the links to images posted with logs are not in Groundspeak's GPX files. I don't think there's any way to get them without screenscraping. :(
Team SLuG
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby team longshadow » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:03 am

Team SLuG wrote:Do you mean the images posted by other finders in their logs?

Unlike the images built into the description, the links to images posted with logs are not in Groundspeak's GPX files. I don't think there's any way to get them without screenscraping. :(

Actually i intend the pictures posted by the owners as "spoilers". I'm telling you this cause i was told that they have been implemented in the geocaching software on Ipod and Itouch so i was wondering if such a possibility will be implemented too by Geosphere since i prefer the more user friendly version of the software. My curiosity comes with the fact that if they did get on "offline" gaming softwares for the pods I guess there should be a way to have them...

team longshadow
Forum Novice
Forum Novice

Postby jonnymambo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:16 am

Hi, I'm writing from Italy, so... sorry for my english :oops:
Geosphere is amazing, yesterday I used during my caching sunday and it works great. I would like the opportunity of viewing spoiler pictures as well.
Before buying Iphone I used old Asus Mypal and Cachemate, which allows to see spoiler pictures downloaded with "Spoiler Sync", an useful little software which using your pocket query downloads spoiler pictures from geocaching.com and saves it in folder. Check it out, if you can. Thank you!

jonnymambo
Forum Novice
Forum Novice

Postby team longshadow » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:46 am

Hi jonny i'm from Italy too :P

Infact jonny, i'm now using bosth softwares. I'm using geosphere for the most and geocaching to see spoiler pictures when I'm in need. Geosphere is very simple in the usage and i guess that if spoiler pics would be implemented it would be the best of all softwares. At the moment, geocaching just downloads all the pictures offline starting from the first ones uploaded. Usally the first pictures are always the spoilers :)

team longshadow
Forum Novice
Forum Novice

Postby markb » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:11 pm

First a note of clarification. There are two types of images which can be associated with caches:

1) Images embedded in a cache description
Although these images may include spoiler details, they are not considered spoilers. If you were viewing the cache web page on GC.com these images would automatically be displayed. These images are referenced in GPX files and as a result Geosphere can be set up to automatically preload them for use offline.

2) Images attached to the cache
These images may or may not be spoilers, but typically spoilers have the word "spoiler" in the title. On the GC.com webpage for the cache these would be shown as links. GC.com does not provide an official means to access these images meaning Geosphere will not be upgraded to provide direct access to these images. But there are indirect methods already supported...

Javascript
Cleaver programmers could utilize Geosphere's bookmark javascript capability to write a script to do most anything. But this does not help the majority so of users so I will not dwell on it.

Spoiler Sync
Geosphere already has the ability to import images and html files created by other programs such as Spoiler Sync http://www.anode.plus.com/spoilersync and attach those images to the corresponding cache. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, Spoiler Sync imports a GPX file and creates a folder with the spoiler images for all caches in the GPX file. Here are example steps you would follow to import these images:

1) Load a GPX file into Geosphere.
    2) Load the same GPX file into Spoiler Sync and let it generate a folder of images.
    3) Make a zip file from the resulting image folder.
    4) Import this new zip file into Geosphere using the same technique you use to import GPX files.
I suggest the following Spoiler Sync settings (changing these setting is not a requirement):
    -Shrink images to a height of 367 and a width of 320 (to keeps the files from being large).
    -Uncheck the "Create web page for spoilers..." option (no need to import both jpeg and html files containing the same images).

markb
Developer
Developer

Postby jonnymambo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:34 am

Wow it works pretty well! Thanks a lot for this tip, now geosphere is perfect (for me) :D !!

jonnymambo
Forum Novice
Forum Novice

Postby team longshadow » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:38 pm

GREAT!!! Now i can delete geocaching software and work with all geosphere :)

team longshadow
Forum Novice
Forum Novice

Return to Feature Requests