Field Note Date-Time

General Geosphere support questions

Field Note Date-Time

Postby batman74 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:40 pm

I create field notes in Geosphere and upload to Groundspeak. At a later time, I edit the note and create a log. With iOS 10, I noticed that the date-time on the field note is frequently wrong. Geosphere has the correct date-time but something is getting translated wrong on the upload to Groundspeak. The translation appears to be adding 14 hours. I am finding caches at GMT-6.

batman74
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Field Note Date-Time

Postby biggles1024 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:16 pm

Have you checked the settings on geocaching.com for your profile to ensure that your time zone hasn't been changed? It will only take a few seconds to do so.

biggles1024
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby batman74 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:30 pm

Great idea. I checked and the Groundspeak setting and it was incorrect. I changed it and will see if that corrects the problem.

batman74
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby thebruce0 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:38 pm

I'd been considering posting here about this issue, as it arose just recently, so I was wondering if anyone else had been having problems. I've been posting updates in a thread on Groundspeak's forums where there was a reported issue with field notes, and not just with geosphere. It seems that those have been fixed, but Geosphere's uploading is still errant.

The thread is here.

As of this comment, I believe the issue could be in one of two places - a bug with geosphere due to a recent iOS update, or a change by Groundspeak that has created issues with non-API Field Note uploads. There are more details in the thread with tests and results...

It's baffling. I believe more that it's a groundspeak issue, but I haven't ruled out an iOS update breaking Geoshere's function. :?
Vlogger, Geocacher (Insta/Twitter: @thebruce0)
- Youtube: Youtube: Chasing the Ironman!
- Ontario Challenge Caches Vol1 / Vol2
- Puzzle solving tool hub
thebruce0
Advanced
Advanced

Postby batman74 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:42 am

Thanks for the link to the Groundspeak forum thread. You are obviously quite aware of the problem. After insuring that I have the correct time zone set in Groundspeak, I created a field note from Geosphere. The Groundspeak field note had 8 hours added to the time-date, just like others have experienced.

batman74
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby rragan » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:47 am

Maybe try a field note from some other app like Cachly?

rragan
Experienced
Experienced

Postby EngPhil » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:17 am

It's not an iOS 10 thing. I just tested this out with Geosphere on my iPhone running iOS 9, and it does indeed have an incorrect time -- 8 hours into the future, as others have noted (my local timezone for reference is UTC+10.)

My guess is that Groundspeak have changed something. Timezones have *always* been a problem there. Perhaps they're finally trying to fix it?

Curiously... I have unpublished fieldnotes going back to the 9th of October. Looking at them and comparing to Geosphere's timestamps, some are off by eight hours, some by one, one by seven, and one is correct. What a mess!
Code: Select all
Date   Offset
09-Oct 8h
09-Oct 8h
23-Oct 8h
23-Oct 8h
23-Oct 8h
29-Oct 8h
03-Nov 8h
06-Nov 1h
06-Nov 1h
06-Nov 1h
06-Nov 0h
06-Nov 1h
06-Nov 7h
11-Nov 8h
27-Nov 8h
EngPhil
Advanced
Advanced

Postby DaveStephens » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:16 pm

Still an issue. I just uploaded 3 Field Notes from GeoSphere to Groundspeak and they were all +8 hours

DaveStephens
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby thebruce0 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:06 am

It's hard to tell if Groundspeak even cares about this. :x
thebruce0
Advanced
Advanced

Postby thebruce0 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:55 pm

So I've just discovered that Geosphere does provide a (slightly tedious) workaround. It means there may be potential text character bugs (hopefully nothing major), and using a little more data, and taking a little more time...

First - make sure you have a Dropbox account connected to your Geosphere and you have the Dropbox app also connected on your device (same account)

Steps:
1. Instead of uploading directly via the app, toggle the Ready-to-Upload button beside the text search box, then Export the field notes using the "Geocaching.com/Garmin" type (tap the top right flyout -> Export -> 'Geocaching.com/Garmin')
2. Save to Dropbox (this should appear if you have the account connected in the app Settings)
3. Load up the Field Notes page in iOS Safari (best to have it saved as a bookmark for ease; Geosphere's in-app browser doesn't work for this method)
4. Tap "Choose File" to upload, then select Dropbox (you may need to toggle it as an option, via "More"). Geosphere files are stored in Apps/Geosphere folder. Select the field note text file you just exported (make sure you choose the correct file!)
5. Make sure the "Ignore logs before" option is untoggled, then tap the Upload Field Note button.

Date/Times will all be correct.

Basically, instead of uploading directly via Geosphere, you're exporting the data in Garmin field note format (standard CSV, which may have some character formatting issues; I believe double quotes in the note text are a problem) and manually uploading them via the website. Thankfully dropbox connectivity is built in to the app and iOS to make the process quicker. But still way more tedious than it should be :cry:
thebruce0
Advanced
Advanced

Postby mrcanoehead224 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:34 pm

thebruce0 wrote:So I've just discovered that Geosphere does provide a (slightly tedious) workaround.
But still way more tedious than it should be :cry:

Yeah, that's not gonna work for me. I try to remember to just change the date when logging the cache. I'm UTC-7 and it happens to be 7 hours ahead for me usually. So any caches I find after 5 PM need to be 'backdated' to the correct date. When I remember that is... I went through events recently and found a bunch that were the wrong day. It irks me especially on those logs.

Also, I use CacheSense on my Android and have the same issue. So... Groundspeak???
mrcanoehead224
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Mulvaney » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:25 pm

mrcanoehead224 wrote:Also, I use CacheSense on my Android and have the same issue. So... Groundspeak???

Cachesense is another app that has not been updated in quite awhile - the last time I checked, the website was down and it was not available for new purchases.

I tested Geosphere, along with GCDroid and Locus. The latter two are current and posted correct times. Geosphere was off by 8 hours. So perhaps there is something in the Groundspeak API that has changed, but it seems to be on the developer's end to update rather than a Groundspeak bug. If time and date matter, we will have to go through the slightly tedious workaround or correct it when the log is posted. . . . unless or until there is a Geosphere update.
Mulvaney no longer.
Mulvaney
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby thebruce0 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:19 am

mrcanoehead224 wrote:
thebruce0 wrote:So I've just discovered that Geosphere does provide a (slightly tedious) workaround.
But still way more tedious than it should be :cry:

Yeah, that's not gonna work for me. I try to remember to just change the date when logging the cache. I'm UTC-7 and it happens to be 7 hours ahead for me usually. So any caches I find after 5 PM need to be 'backdated' to the correct date. When I remember that is... I went through events recently and found a bunch that were the wrong day. It irks me especially on those logs.

Also, I use CacheSense on my Android and have the same issue. So... Groundspeak???

I just used the dropbox method to upload to gc.com again, and it was quick and smooth, no concerns about date changing, visiting trackables handled fine...
It's a little extra work for a find here and there, but wonderful when bulk logging a handful or more.

It really is as simple as:
1. Export field notes marked for upload to Dropbox
2. Open Field Notes webpage in Safari
3. Upload Field Notes from Dropbox folder
4. Compose'em on desktop

Obviously a few extra steps than merely:
1. Upload Field Notes from Geosphere
2. Compose'em on desktop
:lol:

But a big timesaver.
thebruce0
Advanced
Advanced

Postby thebruce0 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:22 am

Mulvaney wrote:
mrcanoehead224 wrote:Also, I use CacheSense on my Android and have the same issue. So... Groundspeak???

Cachesense is another app that has not been updated in quite awhile - the last time I checked, the website was down and it was not available for new purchases.

I tested Geosphere, along with GCDroid and Locus. The latter two are current and posted correct times. Geosphere was off by 8 hours. So perhaps there is something in the Groundspeak API that has changed, but it seems to be on the developer's end to update rather than a Groundspeak bug. If time and date matter, we will have to go through the slightly tedious workaround or correct it when the log is posted. . . . unless or until there is a Geosphere update.

Here's the GS forum thread again where this is being discussed (without any informative response):

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... pic=342064
thebruce0
Advanced
Advanced

Return to General Questions